Summarized by Dr.Hani Alhebshi ..
The aim of this summary is to outline the basic mechanisms and regulation theories to be as a quick reference of craniofacial growth and development. More details can be found in the bottom of this summary when references are listed.
Craniofacial Mechanisms are devided into 4 components :
- Growth Mechanisms ( How bone is formed ).
- Growth Pattern ( change of size and shape of bone).
- Growth Rate ( Speed at which bone is formed).
- Regulation Mechanisms that regulate those three factors.
Growth Mehanisms :
Ossification of bone occurs in two ways :
- Endochondral Ossification : Cartilage transformed into bone.
- Intramembranous Ossification : Mesenchymal connective tissue is transformed into bone by deposition of bone on existing bone surfaces.